Here’s a great crock pot idea that’s perfect for your Sunday Supper! With its hearty, southern flavors, its sure to be a hit!
Crock Pot Chicken Gumbo Soup
No Calorie Cooking Spray
3 Slices Turkey Bacon, chopped
1 lb Chicken Breast, chopped
2 Parmesan Italian Chicken Sausage (Gold’n Plump sells a package of 5 of these), slice both broths and then cut each slice in half
2 cloves Garlic, minced
½ Onion, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
2 ribs Celery, chopped
¼ cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Long Grain Rice
32oz Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
28oz Crushed Tomatoes
2 cups Water
½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
¼ tsp Salt
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and cook bacon over medium-high heat until done. Set aside on a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Use the same skillet. Don’t wipe out excess grease from bacon (this can be used to cook the other ingredients). Spray with a little more cooking spray and add chicken and chicken sausage. Begin to cook over medium-high heat. Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until chicken and sausage are mostly done. You may see just a little pink left in the chicken.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery to the meat and saute over low-medium heat. Add cajun seasoning and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle vegetables and meat with flour and stir to combine, continuing to saute over low-medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Pour meat and vegetable mixture into a large crock pot. Make sure to scrape off browned flour from bottom of the skillet and off of the utensil used to saute. Add bacon to crock pot. Then add rice, chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, water, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. When time to serve, remove bay leaves and Enjoy!
This is the perfect idea for holiday gatherings or Sunday family meals because you can make it ahead of time and relax with the rest of the family while it cooks…perfect!