For the last week of Lent, our featured meatless entree takes a classic comfort food and turns it into a Caribbean Cuisine. With its creamy sauce oozing with melted cheeses over some of our favorite seafood, this dish combines all the things we love about lasagna with the seaside feeling we all long for…
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp plus ½ cup No Salt Added Butter, divided
½ cup Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
1 – 8oz Bottle Clam Juice
½ lb Baby Scallops
1 lb Uncooked Small Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 – 8oz Package Imitation Crabmeat, chunk style
¼ tsp Black Pepper
½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 ½ cups Skim Milk
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
½ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese, divided
Reduced Fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
9 Lasagna Noodles (I always buy the kind that are oven ready and don’t require boiling. They are the flat lasagna noodles so you only need 3 per layer)
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and 2 tablespoons butter about 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth and clam juice and bring to a boil. Add the scallops, shrimp, crab, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink and scallops are firm and opaque, stirring gently. Drain, reserving cooking liquid; set seafood mixture aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter and then stir in flour until smooth. In a small bowl, combine milk and reserved cooking liquid; gradually add to the saucepan. Add salt and remaining pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir 3/4 cup white sauce into the seafood mixture.
- Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in a greased 9x13in baking dish. Top with three noodles; spread with half of the seafood mixture and 1-1/4 cups sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Take a handful of mozzarella cheese and top so most of lasagne is covered (you can decide how much you want). Then sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Pingback: Bizarre ideas… Lasagna parcel. | Chocolate Spoon & The Camera·