Another yummy breakfast or morning snack idea, ideal for those of us trying to increase our protein intake during strenuous training. Also a healthier “splurge” option during those non training months, this recipe is one even your kids will enjoy: Banana Protein Muffins. You can increase the protein by breaking the muffin apart in a bowl and topping it with vanilla (or your favorite flavor) Greek Yogurt. An energizing and tasty breakfast, snack, or dessert option!
Banana Protein Muffins
2 Bananas (the more ripe they are, the easier they are to mash)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 container of Vanilla Greek Yogurt (5 – 6 oz)
1/4 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
2 tbsp Almond Butter
A pinch of Salt
1/4 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed (or Flax Meal)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Stevia
1/2 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup Raisins
No Calorie Cooking Spray
1. In a small bowl, mash bananas. Add all wet ingredients to bowl.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
3. Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine well.
4. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray (10 muffins). You could line the tin with cupcake liners, if you’d like, but I prefer to make the muffins without liners.
5. Spoon batter into muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted just comes out clean. Muffins always turn out best if you pull them out just as they are starting to get done. Don’t let them get overdone.
6. Serve by themselves or topped with your favorite flavor of Greek Yogurt to increase the protein.
Makes 10 muffins