This Mexican-inspired dish, with its savory flavors, is sure to be a hit with the entire family. Easy to make, this is the perfect weeknight meal that will soon become a family favorite. Below is the original recipe I used to make, however, I’ve also included a few ingredients you can substitute to make it a little healthier. Delish!
1 1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 – 4 oz can Olives, sliced
1 – 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
1 – 4 oz can Chile Peppers, chopped
6 Taco-sized Flour Tortillas
8 oz Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
1/2 cup Water
No Calorie Spray Butter
No Calorie Cooking Spray
**Reduce the calories by: Substituting Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast for the Ground Beef; Substituting La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb 7-inch Tortillas (only 80 calories per tortilla) for Flour Tortillas; Substituting Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese for the Mexican Blend Cheese**
1. In a large, sprayed skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is browned. Drain well.
2. Stir salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, olives, tomato sauce, and chile peppers into ground beef and bring to a boil.
3. Spray each tortilla with about 8-10 squirt of butter on each side.
4. In a greased 2 1/2 quart round baking dish, layer in this order: tortillas, 1/6 meat mixture, 1/6 shredded cheese (6 times).
5. Add water to dish and cover with lid or foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Serve with Salsa and Fat Free Sour Cream…yummy!