Being an avid runner, I’m always looking for healthy and energizing snacks to fuel my body. It seems that energy and protein bars are all the rage these days. The problem I have with store bought bars is how highly processed they are and all the ingredients used that are unnecessary. I started thinking of all the things I eat that give me the most energy and that taste good and came up with this recipe. Quick, easy, delicious, and so much better for you than store bought bars!
Homemade Cranberry and Raisin Energy Bars
2 Bananas (the more ripe, the easier they are to mash)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 cup Natural Cane Sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Almond Butter (great substitute for Peanut Butter)
1 1/2 cups Old Fashion Oats
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Ground Flax Seed (Flax Meal is essentially the same thing – flax has so many health benefits but if you’re preggo leave this out and use 3/4 cup Flour instead)
1/4 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ginger (great to add to anything you can – so good for you)
3/4 cup Toasted Walnuts
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup Raisins
1. Mash bananas. Add applesauce, sugar, vanilla, and almond butter. Mix until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl mix oats, flour, flax seed, protein powder, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet.
4. Fold in walnuts, cranberries, and raisins.
5. Pour into greased 11×7 pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Once completely cool cut into 10-12 bars.
8. I wrap them in foil to maintain their moisture.
Enjoy and much energy to you!