This meal may not win any beauty awards, but she sure is tasty. Filled with chicken, black beans, and rice, this is an energizing meal perfect for a busy weeknight! This recipe makes enough to feed 2-3 so if you’re cooking for the family, you may have to double it.
Chicken, Rice, & Black Beans
6oz Hormel Natural Choice Grilled Chicken
1 cup Rice
1 bag (16oz) Southwest-Inspired Corn & Black Bean Seasoned Vegetable Blend (Found at Target)
½ tsp Black Pepper (you can cut this down to ¼ tsp for a little less kick)
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
Shredded Parmesan Cheese
No Calorie Cooking Spray
1. Spray a skillet with no calorie cooking spray. Over medium heat cook corn & black bean vegetable blend, black pepper, and chicken until vegetables are no longer frozen.
2. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
3. Add rice and soy sauce to vegetable and chicken mixture. Stir to combine. Simmer over low heat, covered, for 5 minutes.
4. Split evenly between two serving plates. Top with a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese.
5. Another option for this recipe is to use a 10oz can of light chunk chicken packed in water instead of the Hormel Chicken. This gives it a little different taste and is another option to fool around with. Omit the cheese with the canned chicken and this option will give you a total of 490 calories. A sprinkling of cheese on this alternative may put you slightly over 500 calories.
This is a very filling and delicious meal that will leave your tummy satisfied and finding it hard to believe you only ate 500 calories. You may be able to get away with serving 3 with this meal, depending on how big your appetite is that day. In that case you would be well under 500 calories.
Enjoy and keep learning to love being healthy!