Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, here is a favorite sweet potato recipe that’s sure to heat it up in the kitchen. These Sizzlin’ Sweet Potato Fries are a delicious addition to any meal with their Mexican-inspired flavor while still containing all the healthy goodness of this nutrient packed vegetable. **Warning: This recipe is not for the weak of tongue**
Sizzlin’ Sweet Potato Fries
2-2 1/2 lbs Sweet Potatoes
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Garlic Salt
2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (for a milder version, skip this step)
1 tbsp Reduced Sodium Fajita Seasoning Mix
Shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1. Peel sweet potatoes. Then cut sweet potatoes into French-fry-shaped spears. This is probably the most difficult part of the recipe.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine olive oil, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes.
3. Toss sweet potato fries in olive oil mix, making sure all fries are covered generously.
4. Sprinkle fajita seasoning over fries in mixing bowl and toss until all fries are covered with seasoning. I find its easiest to toss the fries with my hands. This seasoning is a little thicker than my other recipe (County Fair Inspired Sweet Potato Fries) so it may take a little longer to coat all the fries. You can always add a little more fajita seasoning or olive oil if needed. Just use your best judgement.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 1-2 baking sheets with nonstick spray (depending on how many fries you have). Spread fries out evenly on baking sheets, making sure all are flat on the pan and not layered on top of each other. If there are any fries with significantly more seasoning, this is a good time to use a knife or fork to remove a little and add it to fries that may not have as much seasoning. Bake 20 minutes.
6. Pull pan out and sprinkle desired amount of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese over fries. Bake an additional 7-10 minutes. Serve with salsa and plain Greek Yogurt or sour cream.
If you really want to spice them up, you can top them with hot salsa. I’d also recommend a cold margarita with these fries…yum! Enjoy, but remember, I warned you…they’re HOT! The perfect way for the spicy food lover to celebrate Cinco de Mayo without too much guilt!