Oh, how I love two-day weeks! One of the perks of being a teacher…we get Wednesday thru Sunday off for Thanksgiving. My day ahead will be filled with time spent with T.J., grocery shopping (before the stores get too crazy), working out, and lots of cooking and baking. I can hardly wait! My plan at the grocery store is to get everything we need for the next five days so we don’t have to venture into town during one of the craziest times of year. I plan to stay far away from the chaos over the weekend and spend time at home with my boys, decorating for Christmas, watching football and basketball, and stuffing myself full of good food. Besides, most of my Christmas shopping is already done…thanks to the internet and all the early “Black Friday” deals.
The week began a little more hectic than it will end. Monday and Tuesday were busy school days, as usual. I’ve learned there is no rest for a first grade teacher…at least not until late at night after I get T.J. to bed. On Tuesday we were going to have a “Pot-Luck” at school for lunch. Each staff member was to bring a favorite dish, side, or dessert. So with little time to spare on Monday after school, I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed a few things. I wanted something quick and easy since I still had to fit my workout in, cook supper, spend a little time with T.J., and go through his whole bedtime routine (bath, picking up, story, prayers, song)….it can take quite awhile. So I went with one of the easiest and quickest recipe ideas I know…Cream Cheese ‘n Salsa Roll-ups.
These are so simple and take minimal preparation time. And best of all…they taste great! So if you’re looking for a quick and easy idea for this Thanksgiving weekend, this is the recipe for you!
**This recipe will make enough to serve several people. It can easily be doubled. To be honest, I never really measure anything, I just throw it together, so this is a rough estimate. You really can’t go wrong.**
5-6 8-inch Flour Tortillas
1 – 8oz block of Cream Cheese
3/4 to 1 cup Salsa (depending on the consistency you’d like). I used my homemade salsa which includes corn and sugar, but any kind of salsa will do.
1 cup finely shredded Colby Jack Cheese
1. Soften cream cheese in microwave just enough so that it has a smooth consistency that can easily be stirred and spread.
2. Combine cream cheese, salsa, and cheese in a mixing bowl.
3. Lay out one tortilla and spread cream cheese mixture in a thin layer evenly in a circle in the middle of the tortilla leaving about a 1-2 inch perimeter around the outside so that the tortilla can be rolled without all the contents oozing out.
4. Roll tortilla tightly and repeat with remaining tortillas.
5. Refrigerate overnight (or at least a couple of hours) so tortillas firm up.
6. Cut into desired roll-up sizes.
Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving! Best of luck to all of you Black Friday shoppers out there. I’ll be thinking of you as I’m cozy and warm in my slippers at home 🙂